* Since 2011 PhD student in Tim Clausen’s group, Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP), Vienna. Research interest: protein unfolding and phosphorylation.
* 2010-2011 Visiting student in Joel Sussman’s group, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel. Research interest: proteolysis of intrinsically disordered proteins, mechanisms of enzymatic reaction.
* 2006-2010 Master of Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular), University of Oxford, Lincoln College. Overall mark: 2.1. Part II thesis: Structural characterisation of alpha-parvin in Martin Noble’s group. Additional subject: History and Philosophy of Science.
* 2009 Internship in Sir Philip Cohen’s group, MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, University of Dundee. Research interest: protein phosphorylation in innate immune signalling.
* 2008 Internship in Mariusz Jaskolski’s group, Center for Biocrystallographic Research (CBB), Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poznan. Research interest: gene cloning, protein recombinant expression and purification.
Current research interest
I am particularly interested in the mechanisms of catalysed protein unfolding inside living cells: how a protein can be unfolded in a controlled way by another protein. In general, what I find fascinating are the mechanistic aspects of protein function, that of motors and enzymes alike, also on a theoretical level (Brownian ratchet model etc.). Additionally, I am interested in the physiological importance of protein unfolding, degradation and also phosphorylation. In terms of methods, I highly value the art of protein purification and crystallisation and the different aspects of protein structure solution.
Honors and Awards
* 2013 – F1000 Associated Faculty Member (profile)
* 2005 – Laureate of the Polish Chemistry Olympiad, prize for the best solution of Physical Chemistry problems
Suskiewicz, M. J., Sussman, J. L., Silman, I. and Shaul, Y. (2011), Context-dependent resistance to proteolysis of intrinsically disordered proteins. Protein Science, 20: 1285–1297. doi: 10.1002/pro.657